Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Friday, November 19, 2010

The science of...science.

District Science Panel Presentation
Tuesday, November 30
7:30 - 9 p.m.
Education Center, 49 Cottage Place, 3rd floor

The Ridgewood Public Schools Curriculum Communication Committee is hosting a panel presentation on science on November 30. Parents and guardians are invited to come hear what scientists from our community have to say about:
-- What students need to learn about science by the time they graduate from high school
-- How schools can promote interest and excellence in scientific learning
-- What knowledge, skills and attitudes students will need over the next 20 years to be scientists and/or scientifically literate leaders in their chosen fields.

The list of participating scientists will be available shortly and I'll post that info here when I have it.

Why is the District doing this now? It's part of our rotating curriculum review process. In 2010-11, Science and Social/Emotional/Guidance are in the "Program Review" stage, which is followed in 2011-12 by Curriculum Writing. You can download and review the entire Curriculum Review Plan by clicking here.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this presentation, as I'll be at my son's RHS Soccer Banquet. But I'll be so interested to read the report and hear from parents who attend. Let me know what you think!

No comments: