Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Awkward. And ineffective.

Last week a member of the Ramsey Board of Education wrote an Op-Ed piece in the Bergen Record, complaining about budget caps and teacher salaries. Today the NJEA rep for the Ramsey teachers' union wrote to contradict a lot of what the Board of Ed guy had to say. Both featured a lot of spin and nothing really helpful or informative for parents and citizens of Ramsey.

I'm all for freedom of speech and public discourse. I love letters to the editor as one of the most important tools in a democracy. But this kind of public bickering-by-column of school officials just rubs me the wrong way. There's something dysfunctional about it, no?

I don't know...maybe if I was in their position, I might want to do something similar. I do have a tendency to want the last word in an argument. Or to "clarify" the other party's "misstatements." But I can't help but think this little exercise on the editorial page was just a waste of time.

Now if they each had their own blog...
;)

still searching for online links to these two editorials...will post if I can track them down.

No comments: