Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Supreme Court says school strip search went too far

Well, duh. I can't even understand how this case made it all the way to the Supreme Court. How on earth could it NOT be unreasonable to do a strip search on a 13-year-old girl because school officials suspected she had Advil? Are you serious?

Read full article by clicking here.

I understand schools' need to eliminate drugs on campus. I even understand the zero-tolerance policy and have tried to make sure my kids understand it's not ok to carry Advil yourself, even if you are just taking it for cramps or because you injured yourself in a cross country meet the day before. But a strip search? This case of the girl in Arizona was beyond my comprehension. I'll admit, I never really looked into the arguments FOR the search. I guess I'm curious and I'll check it out, but I'm not holding out for it to make much sense.

No comments: