Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First day of school...

Well, for our family the first day of school (10th grade) was pretty smooth. I had to go the Fields Committee meeting at 7:00 AM so I missed Pete's send-off (and obligatory photo on the porch). That was kinda sad but oh well. (Love those 7 AM Fields meetings!) Pete said the well-intentioned but oh, so silly three police officers were back, posted at the intersection of Brookside and Ridgewood Ave. across from the high school (blocking traffic, I might add). I realize I'm going out on a limb here to criticize a "safety" initiative, but I still think this very visible but ineffective plan is making things worse. Someday I'll write more on why that is...

At school, it looks like quite a few of Pete's teachers have made their classroom pages on the new school/district website. That's encouraging! (It took us a while to find them...they're listed under "Staff and Classroom Pages" and not under "Departments.") I hope everyone is checking out the new website. Don't be thrown-off by the "log in" or "registration" boxes -- I'm told that the log-in/personal pages is a feature that will be activated sometime this year. And the calendars will hopefully be updated more fully soon.

School was over at around noon -- don't want to overwhelm them (or the teachers?) on the first day! I loved seeing the parade of students walking toward downtown...this Fall's Day 1 "uniforms" appeared to be flow-y, floral tops and jean shorts for girls and loose t-shirts and long shorts for boys. Did they all coordinate their outfits on Facebook?

I wish hope everyone has a great year!

No comments: