Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Math Supervisor Grades 6-12

At the Board of Ed meeting Monday night (7/28), we approved the hiring of Daniel Ilaria as our new Mathematics Supervisor for Grades 6-12. Mr. Ilaria is a graduate of Drew University and Rutgers, and most recently worked as Supervisor of Mathematics for the Springfield Public School District. I had a chance to meet Mr. Ilaria and he seems like a nice guy and smart. He will be starting in Ridgewood just as soon as his current employer releases him. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurie, I hope you are aware that the district Mr. Ilaria is leaving uses Everyday Math for its grade school curriculum and Connected Math (CMP) for middle school students. (By the way, in examining the Springfield, NJ district website, I noticed that they've published a "District Philosophy Statement for Mathematics Pre K-12". Do we have anything like this?)

During the process of hiring Mr. Ilaria, did you or anyone else ask him whether he thinks the Ridgewood district should be considering implementing a wide-spiraling curriculum like Everyday Math or TERC/Investigations as the standard for transmitting math to the students in its six grade schools?

What does he think of our use of CMP in the middle schools? Should CMP follow students into the high school?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am aware that Springfield uses Everyday Math and Connected Math. I did not see a document specifically labeled "District Philosophy for Mathematics Pre K-12,” but I did see the Math Dept page which seemed to discuss the philosophy and also the math dept goals for the school year. (If there was another document I missed, would you mind sending the link?) I don't think we have a document like this -- or at least one that's readily accessible on our website. I’d like to see us produce something similar once we determine our district-wide K-5 math program (and also for language arts, science, etc., too).

I particularly liked Springfield's "Curriculum Handbook" for parents, which they have for each grade. It covers topics (at the specific grade level) such as Helping Your Child at Home, Tips for Parents, Assessment Methods, What will Children Learn in Grade XX, Learning Expectations for each subject, etc. I think those guides or handbooks must be a great resource for parents.

I do not know what specific questions were asked in Mr. Ilaria's job interviews. I am also curious as to his thoughts on spiraling. I will be sure to ask about that when we meet to discuss our math program going forward.

As to what Mr. Ilaria thinks about CMP, again, I can't speak for him. I'm sure there will be opportunities for you (and anyone else) to ask him specific questions, once he begins in his new position here.

Anonymous said...

You asked:

"If there was another document I missed, would you mind sending the link?"

I answer:

See the following: http://www.springfieldschools.com/parentresources/curriculum.html

Anonymous said...

Oh, I found it...the District Philosophy statement is part of each of the Grade Level "Curriculum Handbooks." For example, in the First Grade guide, it's on page 19 of the document.

Also, the link you posted didn't come through entirely. It is http://www.springfieldschools.com/ parentresources/curriculum.html

I think these Curriculum Handbooks are great.