Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bill to move school elections stalled

Legislation that would move April’s non-partisan school board member elections to the partisan November general elections, while also eliminating public votes on below-cap school budgets, did not come up for a vote in the full State Senate on Dec. 15. The bill had been released by the Senate Education Committee on Dec. 8.

Looks like the idea is back in limbo, where it belongs (did I say that?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad that once again you wish to disenfranchise the voters.

Laurie Goodman said...

What do you mean "once again?" I've only had this job for 8 months and I'd like to know how I've disenfranchised anybody. My problem with this bill was moving the school elections to November. It's an idea designed only to make the current legislature look good (and let them avoid making funding commitments) and had nothing to do with actually improving things for our students or our taxpayers. And as for the elimination of votes on under-cap budgets (which I gather is the part you're referring to), I'm ok with the idea because I've looked at the reality -- if what you want is voter/taxpayer input on the budget, then election day is too late. Get involved and give some input earlier. Look at the details of the budget -- the vast majority of the budget is contract-based (salaries, benefits, etc.), and therefore cannot be changed. The state-imposed cap prevents the budget from expanding in the relatively small fraction which is "discretionary." If the state already caps the budget, then what is the point of voting? To "send a message?" I would urge you to send your message in a more constructive, less destructive manner...come to the board and let us know what you think.

That being said, this is not an issue that I feel particularly strongly about. I'm not actively arguing for it (I just try to answer when asked). But the November school elections issue is something I am against and, I would argue, would be detrimental to our schools and would actually disenfranchise voters.