Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Student-Made Christmas Tree Decorations

A parent asked me about the story that Ridgewood elementary school students would be making ornaments for the Village Christmas tree in Van Neste Square. She criticized the use of school time, materials, etc., on a religious-themed project. I checked it out and learned that the ornament idea was suggested by members of the Village Council and the making of the ornaments was offered as an option for those kids who were interested, during lunch or after school. Just wanted to clarify that class instructional time and materials were not to be used. (I forgot to mention that the ornaments were to be made from recycled materials.)

I think it's interesting that over the years the "holiday issue" comes up again and again, and I always hear from many "sides:" At Somerville (where my kids attended) there always seemed to be parents who wanted MORE holiday presence (no pun intended) such as Christmas trees and "Silent Night" at the chorus concert, as well as parents who wanted no reminder of any religious holiday (no Christmas trees, no dreidels), PLUS even some parents who wanted EVERY holiday represented (Kwanzaa, etc.). Apparently this issue will never be resolved.

I will be interested to see the "recycled" ornaments tomorrow night...

No comments: