Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Friday, August 14, 2009

BOE 08-09 Self-Evaluation: Planning

As I suggested the other day, let's go through the 08-09 Board Self-Evaluation. Keep in mind, this is the first time I've done this. I'm not sure how helpful it will be, but let's give it a try. I feel like sharing the info with you, although I'm not prepared to do a deep analysis right now. If you have any questions, I'll answer as best I can from my personal perspective. (And please let me know if you think this is helpful, or interesting, or a waste of time, or...)

As the Board discussed this evaluation at our July 20 meeting, we did start working on goals for the 09-10 school year, and those goals were definitely informed, in part, by this discussion. Those goals will be discussed and approved at future (soon) Board meetings.

First, some definitions.

Board members (and administrators) rated each statement on a scale of 1-4:
1 = Unsatisfactory.
2 = Adequate
3 = Good
4 = Commendable
("Not Observed" was also an option)

Each section has two subsections: "About the Board" and "About You, the Board Member." (Only Board members rated the statements in the second subsection.)

I will share the average scores for each statement about the Board and about Board members, and then for the individual self evaluation, I'll also tell you the score I gave myself (in parentheses).

So here we go. Tonight let's look at...

Section 1: Planning:

Our Board:
1. with broad community input, established a district wide vision, mission and multi-year plan for education. 3.0
2. plans, and collaboratively sets district and board goals and establishes priorities annually. 3.2
3. reviews Action Plans developed to support the goals. 3.0
4. regularly monitors progress towards achieving the district's vision, mission and goals making adjustments as needed. 3.1

As a board member, I:
A. participate fully in the district planning process. 2.6 (1)
B. recognize the importance of meaningful public participation in the planning process. 3.4 (4)
C. support the district vision, mission and goals. 3.2 (3)

The next Board Self-Evaluation post will cover Policy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this. I think it is interesting to see how our Board rates itself. I hope you will explain some of your ratings (for example, you rated yourself "unsatisfactory" in one of the points...why?)

Looking forward to seeing the ratings from the other categories.