Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Sunday, August 16, 2009

New, improved baseball field at Vets?

There are some posts on another local blog regarding a proposed plan to build a "new baseball diamond" at Vets Field. Here's a little info I can add to the partial info on the other blog:

The baseball field plan was presented to the joint Village-BOE Fields Committee (of which I'm a member) in June. The baseball field plan I saw was an upgrade of the existing ballfield at Vets. The outfield fence would be removable so it would not interfere with things like July 4th fireworks, etc. The removable foul ball net would protect cars in the parking lot and would be virtually invisible as similar nets are at Maple and Somerville. To answer a question re: BOE "signing off" on such a project -- Vets Field belongs to the Village, not the BOE. It's not up to the Board of Ed to approve what is done at Vets. Would the BOE "allow" someone to provide our student athletes with a top-quality baseball field within walking distance of RHS? Hmmm. Kind of a no-brainer, I think (in my personal opinion, of course. As I've mentioned several times, I don't speak for the Board!).

No comments: