Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Monday, October 13, 2008

Summer Homework

A parent emailed me the following question:

"Why do so many other neighboring communities have "summer homework" - a required book/s to read, worksheets, historic local sites to visit, etc. - and Ridgewood does not? Just wondering!"

I will see what I can find out about our schools' practices and philosophy re: summer homework. But, in the meantime, I'm interested to hear what parents think. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings about this one. Vacation should be a time to relax, so worksheets or projects would just create resentment, without anything being really learned. I also don't like the idea of trips, which puts an obligation on parents. I think assigning books to read is a good idea, though, especially if there are a variety of titles to choose from so kids can choose their own interests.

Laurie Goodman said...

I've learned that the original point, that Ridgewood does "nothing" in the way of summer homework, isn't entirely true. It's true, there is not a district policy about summer homework. Each school handles summer assignments in its own way.

In our elementary schools, there are summer reading lists and journals to record reading and responses. Certain books are not assigned, per se, but Information is sent to parents stressing the expectation that children will read, and it seems that most of them do meet the expectation. Older elementary students are asked to write in writing notebooks and practice math facts.

In the middle schools, GW and BF both assign summer reading.

From what I can tell from talking to other parents, whenever this issue comes up (every couple of years), there is a contrast between wanting kids to rest and play in the summer, and wanting them to retain what they've learned and stay sharp.

Personally, I do want kids to have a break from all the pressure in the summer, BUT I think reading assignments are good. I want kids to see reading as year-round, something we all do, all the time. However, I have a friend out of state whose kids stress out every summer, with projects and homework and worksheets, etc., that they are supposed to be doing all summer long. They stress out all summer. It's sad.

Anybody else have an opinion?