Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

From the Trenches of Public Ed.: Improving education vs. students' rights

Normally I find this blog (From the Trenches of Public Ed.) interesting and usually thought-provoking, but I have to say I disagree with the point of the following post (see link for entire article). Here's the part I take issue with:

"Education should not be considered a right. A "right" is something that government should not be able to take away from you, not something government is obligated to give you. As Philip K. Howard says, education is not a right, but a benefit provided by a democratic society. I believe that our democracy should provide education, but there are going to be a lot of places where we can't do it effectively as long as we look at it as a right."

Hmmm....What do you think of this?
From the Trenches of Public Ed.: Improving education vs. students' rights

No comments: