Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Report from School Boards Workshop in Atlantic City

So Michele Lenhard, Sheila Brogan and I traveled to Atlantic City last week for the New Jersey School Boards Association annual Workshop. There were training sessions, "Action Labs," and other sessions, plus a general session with Jon Corzine and some other state legislators, and a special small session with Education Commissioner Lucille Davy. We were able to attend our state-mandated training as school board members. There was also a gigantic Exhibit Hall, with vendors offering info on just about any product you could possible sell to a school or district. From construction and building supplies to desks to school buses to computer data systems to playground equipment to auditorium curtains to insurance services to...it was truly amazing.

What sessions did I attend?

Well, I participated in an intensive "Engaging the Public" session that talked about the need to identify and speak to various "publics" and the need for trust. There was quite a bit of discussion on one of my favorite questions, namely, "what is the appropriate level of involvement for various stakeholders?" We talked about public involvement in Board committees -- some committees are more suited for public involvement than others and the key is ensuring that everyone (both the public members and the Board members) understand the expectations as to roles, powers, inputs, etc. This is an issue that I'll be the first to admit is more complicated than I anticipated, but I'm still committed to making something happen in this area. In due time.

I also attended a session on Evaluating the Superintendent...it may seem early (our guy just started!), but anyone who has worked in a company with good human resources policies knows that the best evaluation process actually starts with good preparation and communication up front, so that later when it's time to actually complete a written evaluation, there shouldn't be any surprises. The development of the Board's skills and the superintendent's skills is a process that is ongoing, forever, actually. (OK, maybe not "forever," but let's say many many years. :)

The other session I attended focused on School Board problem solving. It was subtitled "Working your Way Through the Maze" and that's obviously why I attended...I have felt lost in "the maze" many times over the past six months (hey, it was just my six-month anniversary last week, I just realized!). The primary job I've had so far is just trying to figure out just what it is I'm supposed to be doing, what I should be doing, what I legally CAN be doing...quite honestly it's been frustrating. But I'm making progress, I think.

Finally, one of the main benefits of the NJSBA Workshop for me, personally, was the opportunity to meet and speak casually with school board members from all over the state. In some cases it was reassuring to hear that our issues and challenges are shared by many, many boards and members. In other cases it was heartening to realize how lucky we are in Ridgewood...we have a community of very smart, committed people, well-intentioned, enthusiastic (yes, yes, I'm generalizing), but at least we don't have fist fights at the Board table, name-calling and shouting, defamation lawsuits, behind-the-scenes soap operas...KNOCK WOOD!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think speak for more than just myself when I say you are making great progress!!

Laurie Goodman said...

Thank you very much.