Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The "personal opinion" dilemma

We all have them. Personal opinions. Points of view. Individual perspectives. However you want to say it. I feel a need to express my personal opinions to at least some extent. Hence, this blog. On one level, I see this blog as me having a chat with my neighbor in my front yard -- except I get to chat with many "neighbors" at once. (Much more efficient!) On another level, it's like a journal, both for my benefit in working out my thoughts and making sense of the situations in which I find myself, and also for the benefit of the community, or at least those who care about what goes on at the Board of Ed and in our schools.

I've said (and shown) many times that I'm not a political animal...I don't think like a political strategist. I am not always able or willing to consider all the possible ramifications and ripples before I speak. Is this a problem for someone elected to the Board of Education? So far, it certainly isn't going to make things easier, but it's who I am and I would rather be honest with you and with myself. I have to.

I received lots of advice when I was elected. In particular, I was told: "Stick to what you think is right" and "Follow your heart." I think that's good advice. It might not always win me friends, but it definitely helps me sleep at night. (The other advice I got was legal: make sure everyone knows your opinions are yours alone and that you do not speak for the Board of Ed. Which is true and which I try to reiterate as much as possible.)

No comments: