Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reading about Math

While the District's Math Planning Team meets and does its research, I've been doing a little math reading of my own. If you want to get some outside-the-village perspective on our math conversation over the past couple of years, I highly recommend the book, What's Math Got to Do with It? by Jo Boaler. Lots of clear information on the reform math approach. I just finished that and next I'm on to The Equation for Excellence: How to Make Your Child Excel at Math by Arvin Mohra. It appears to be focused on more traditional, "non-fuzzy" teaching. After that, I plan to read Math Wars: A Guide for Parents and Teachers by Latterell. It purports to be an objective/academic presentation of both sides, leaving conclusions up to the reader. We shall see. I'm also intrigued by Math for Humans: Teaching Math through 8 Intelligences (Wahl) and Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math without Breaking a Nail (McKellar).

Just thought I'd share these resources. I also have a list of interesting journal articles, which I'll post later.

Dear Amazon, you're welcome. Ha.

No comments: