Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ridgewood Pool Project update

The Ridgewood Pool Project was formed in 2006 under the guidance of Ridgewood Parks & Recreation. The purpose is to discover why there has been a severe membership decline at Graydon Pool, and how to create a facility that better meet the needs of residents. Following resident research and a professional feasibility study, at the end of this month the group will be recommending to the Council that it invest in a new facility that provides filtered, clear water in a natural, park-like setting. The group believes that this type of facility can not only attract a significant number of residents back to Graydon, but also produce enough revenue to cover the cost of its construction.

The group has met individually with Council members and the Village Manager, and group members say they have all expressed interest in supporting this project. Of course, there are a number of projects pending in the Village and they need to decide which are most important to pursue.

Residents who want more info are invited to attend one of several open houses at the Community Center at Village Hall for an unveiling of the artist renderings of the new, proposed facility. Group members will be on hand to make a short presentation and answer questions. The open house schedule is:

Monday, January 19 at 4:00 pm
Tuesday, January 20 at 9:30 am
Wednesday, January 21 at 8:00 pm
Thursday, January 22 at 9:30, 1:00 pm or 8:00 pm

Residents are encouraged to attend the Village Council meeting on Wednesday, January 28 at 7:30pm in the Courtroom at Village Hall to express feelings for or against the project. I personally don't have a firm opinion yet, so I'll go to one of the open houses this week to find out. I hope people will try and get the facts before they speak one way or the other. See you at an open house!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurie,
I received an automated call last night regarding the pool project. Do you know if this call was through Swiftreach? I thought the purpose of the system was for the schools and emergency purposes only. Any thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Sara, I was out of town until late last night so did not receive a call and don't know what the script was. I don't know if the call was through Swiftreach. I'll see what I can find out.

Anonymous said...

Apparently someone from the Village approached the district about using the Swiftreach system, and the Village is to pay a fee for that usage. I do not know who from the village asked, I don't know who they asked at the district, I don't know what they asked for, I don't know what the district did or did not know about the content of the call...basically I don't know much at this time. I will follow up!