Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Students' test scores only show part of a teacher's "effectiveness."

Yesterday I wrote about the LA Times' recent project to score and rank (and publicize) teachers in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Teachers are able to review their scores online, and they have the opportunity to respond in writing to their scores.

This response from a 5th grade teacher to his score is indicative of the problems with value-added data scoring. How can this teacher be reduced to "less effective" or "average?" Clearly he is neither of those things.

I shake my head, hating to think that someone (parents, administrators) skimming down a list of scores, could write-off this teacher as not effective.

No comments: