Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Frustration 101.2

I wanted to follow up a tiny bit on my expression of frustration at the REA’s non-ratifying of a concession to help with the 2010-11 budget. Based on some comments I’ve heard, I want to make something very clear:

I appreciate our teachers.

I respect our teachers.

I think our teachers are, on the whole, excellent.

I appreciate all the work our teachers do, every day.

I also appreciate their stated willingness to work together.

After that, my appreciation gets a little wobbly.

But I can’t say this enough...my frustration has nothing to do with the quality of our teachers or their teaching. Some people, in other venues, confuse the issues, and somehow the idea of contract concessions becomes intertwined with tenure and good teachers vs. bad or tired teachers. That’s not correct, and that’s not what I’m talking about.

I’m frustrated, as a taxpayer, with the lack of “working together.” The lack of shared sacrifice. I’m frustrated that (fill in the blank) program is being cut so that full raises can be paid. I just don’t think that’s right.

What I do think is right is paying teachers well...as well as we can afford to pay them.

No comments: