Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Friday, August 15, 2008

The cupola is coming!

The new and improved cupola at the high school is completed and will be traveling from Kentucky next week. I saw photos and it looks great! Glad it will be back in place for the start of the new school year.

The district has actually been very busy this summer on capital and maintenance projects. The wall at Willard is being repaired, asbestos tiles are being removed at several schools, and a number water-damaged classrooms are being repaired to better-than-ever shape at the high school. Gym 1 looks amazing! It's going to be great for students to come back to some of these improved facilities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was there to improve upon. Did they replicate the old one or sort of mimic it?

May I suggest you get rid of the "word verification" feature for posting a comment. It is truly annoying and unnecessary.

Laurie Goodman said...

Hmmm, not exactly sure how to answer that one -- I'm going to say they "replicated" it, albeit with improved materials for weather resistance and longevity. The dome is still copper. The dome is now the proper (larger) size. The base design, from what I could see in a photo (it was disassembled and lying on its side on a truck), looks correct.

When I was looking for photos of the old cupola to compare, I stumbled on this video that a student created, showing a time-lapse of the cupola being removed. It's pretty cool. If you haven't seen it, check it out at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptHA0t-I7k4

And by the way, thanks for the heads up on the word verification thing. I didn't know it defaulted to that. Sorry to be annoying!