Welcome!

Welcome to Laurie Goodman's blog. I use this space to share news and opinions about education and schools in Ridgewood, the state of New Jersey and the nation, in addition to other issues I'm personally interested in. I invite you to share your thoughts, feelings, questions or opinions, too, by posting comments on any blog entry. Please observe basic courtesy -- keep your comments focused on issues, no personal attacks or bullying, please. Contact me directly at: lauriegood@mac.com

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Paying students for AP tests?

Well, I can't say I''m shocked that a controversial program in NYC to pay students $500-$1000 for passing AP tests is showing "mixed results." And by mixed results I think they mean it's a waste of money. Today they announced that in the first year of the program, they shelled out $2 million and -- guess what -- the number of kids passing AP tests actually went down slightly. Brilliant.

You can read about it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/education/20cash.html?ex=1376971200&en=63c3e37cfe6454af&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

I was surprised to read how many of these cash-for-grades or cash-for-attendance programs are out there around the country. States and districts keep trying it, even though there is little evidence that it ever works.

Favorite quote is from Superintendent David Hire of Coshocton, OH, whose district gave out $62,000 in gift certificates to kids who passed state achievement tests: "I think it helps the kids take the test more seriously...It gives them something to look forward to, and it helps to keep them focused."

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

No comments: